Modern Foreign Languages
‘A different language is a different vision of life’
MFL (French) at Knutton, St Mary’s promotes confidence in language learning, providing experience of another language and culture, and transferable skills for learning and understanding another language.
Pupils develop an understanding of how subjects and specific skills are linked to future jobs.
Here are some of the jobs you could aspire to do in the future as a Linguist:
- Attractions manager
- Teachers in other countries
- Hotel managers
- Leisure and tourism
- International law
For more careers, please visit First Careers.
MFL (French) at Knutton, St Mary’s follows the Rigolo scheme of work across KS2. Y3 follow Rigolo 1 units 1-6, Y4 units 7-12 with a specialist teacher. Y5 follow Rigolo 2 units 1-6 and Y6 units 7-12.
Short-term, additional units of work are provided by the specialist teacher in response to whole-school topics and national events, e.g. the school’s January literacy project – the set book is read in French and lessons based around the topic book are also taught.
A Royal Wedding (for example) would also have a themed lesson or set of lessons.
- Children will achieve age related expectations at the end of their cohort year
- Children can express themselves in French on their current topic and retain and apply core vocabulary and phrases across all their units.
- Children have an awareness of the differences and similarities between their own culture and the French culture.
- Children are confident using dual language dictionaries
- Children are confident sounding out unfamiliar vocabulary and able to look for word links that support their understanding