Art & Design
“Art has the role in education of helping children become like themselves instead of more like everyone else” Sydney Gurewitz Clemens
At Knutton, St Mary’s C of E Academy, we aim to deliver an Art and Design curriculum that engages children and provides opportunities to think innovatively and develop creative procedural understanding. A high-quality art and design education should engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design.
The Art and Design curriculum at Knutton, St Mary’s C of E Academy will allow children to:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design.
- know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
We want pupils to develop an understanding of how subjects and specific skills are linked to future jobs.
Here are some of the jobs you could aspire to do in the future as an Artist:
- Wardrobe master
- Author and illustrator
- Furniture designer
- Fashion designer
For more careers, please visit First Careers.
At Knutton, St Mary’s C of E Academy we will ensure:
- Teachers plan and deliver lessons in line with the National Curriculum.
- Teachers will promote the use of accurate and rich vocabulary throughout the Art & Design curriculum.
- Pupils will produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- Pupils will become proficient in drawing painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.
- Pupils will evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design.
Click any of the images below to download the full document.
Through the explicit teaching of the Art & Design skills, both the teachers and the pupils assess their learning continuously throughout the units. Our assessment systems enable teachers to make informed judgements about the depth of their learning and the progress they have made over time. Impact will be demonstrated in the following ways:
- Most children will reach age related expectations in Art & Design
- Children will express their creativity through designing
- Children will think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design